I have all kinds of good memories from the 4th of July as a child. Everything about the day is a celebration- the food, the fireworks, the family get-togethers. And of course, those things are just that much more exciting to a child if he or she gets a DIY 4th of July shirt that they made themselves!
DIY 4th of July Shirt Tutorial
This post contains affiliate links.
DIY Fourth of July Shirt Instructions
1. Place a piece of cardboard in between the two layers of the t-shirt. This will prevent the paint from leaking to the back of the shirt. Use masking tape to section off the star portion of the flag and to make the white stripes. I did the taping for this shirt myself, but an older child might be able to tape with guidance.
2. Use a craft sponge to dab on the red stripes. I like the rustic look of dabbing better than regular painting for home painted t-shirts. It makes irregularities look like “character” rather than mistakes. It’s also good for sticker resist painting because it uses less paint; so there is less chance for it to get under the stickers.
3. After the paint has dried, pull off the tape, and put new tape around the outside of the star section of the flag. This keeps the blue from mixing with the red stripes.
4. Fill the star section with star stickers, making sure to press down firmly. This way, the paint can’t bleed under them.
5. Dab with blue paint. Make sure to dab enough paint around the stars so that the star shapes can be sufficiently recognized.
6. Wait until dry, and then remove stickers and tape. Removing the star stickers is especially fun. It looks like a real flag now!
What an amazing t-shirt! Kids love wearing personalized shirts especially when they can help make them.
More Fourth of July Crafts and Activities
- July 4th Activities, Printables, & Goodies
- 4th of July Printable Preschool Worksheet Pack
- Patriotic Marshmallows for the 4th of July
- 4th of July Sugar Cookie Bar Dessert
How are you celebrating the 4th of July? Comment below!