Babies love to explore — and that includes using their mouths to taste just about everything. That’s one of the reasons why this mom’s idea for edible sand is so genius.
How to Make Edible Sand
This is such an easy sensory activity for babies, and one that will entertain them for hours. I wish I had thought of it when my kids were younger!
As Elle Anna Christine — a mom in Illinois — shared on TikTok, simply take some plain Cheerios and turn them into a fine consistency using a blender. Since Cheerios are beige colored, the crushed up cheerios even look like sand.
Tada! Baby now has edible sand to play with. While that alone is genius, the mom also shared that she put the “sand” in a container, added in some beach toys, and voila, baby has a safe (and edible) sand pit to play with.
The baby got to explore the texture of the “sand,” and play with the toys, all while keeping busy. What a great way to entertain little ones!
Since the sand is actually Cheerios, parents don’t have to worry if the baby eats some of it too. As the video shows, the baby does try to eat some — along with trying out the toys too. After all, babies will be babies.
And what about when baby goes to the beach for the first time? Sure, they may try the “sand” — I know my kids did once upon a time — but they’ll learn rather quick that it’s not the same thing! In the meantime, they can play — and “eat” — as much Cheerio sand as they want.
As Elle also pointed out, “I live in Illinois so no sand around sadly.”
For more edible sensory activities, check out this edible play dough.
SOME OF OUR FAVORITE WAYS TO KEEP KIDS BUSY:
- Get kids off technology and back to basics with learning worksheets you can print at home!
- Baby shark coloring pages are perfect for little ones who love the viral Pinkfong song.
- Make being stuck at home fun with our favorite indoor games for kids.
- Coloring is fun! Especially with our Fortnite coloring pages.
- Check out our Frozen 2 coloring pages.
- What’s the best kind of party? A unicorn party!
- Learn how to make a compass and go on an adventure with your kids.
- Create an Ash Ketchum costume.
- Try these fun edible playdough recipes!
- Kids love unicorn slime.
- Make reading even more fun with this PB kids summer reading challenge.
- Set up a neighborhood bear hunt. Your kids will love it!
- Your kids will have a blast with these prank ideas.
- Make coffee filter crafts!
- Easy crafts for kids will save your day.
- Kids will love these fun Halloween games!