I have been trying to record all of my lockdown memories, both good and bad, in my Stuck-at-Home journal. This week, I’m Kondo-ing, quarantine style!
Stuck-at-Home Journal: Kondo-ing Quarantine Style
This post contains affiliate links.
I have been a huge fan of Marie Kondo for a long time.
Note for those who don’t know of Marie Kondo: She is an extremely calm and pleasant woman who helps people organize their house by getting rid of a very high percentage of their belongings (willingly). Her signature move when making a decision whether something should stay or go is to hold it and feel if it “brings you joy”.
Initially, years ago, Marie Kondo’s book was one of those Barnes & Noble bookstore impulse buys. You know, when you wander around the store like it is the library reading the backs of books, picking up bright covers and searching for just the right book.
Her book brought me joy.
And I threw away a few items.
Netflix and Organize
When her streaming series came out, I binged the whole thing in a handful of days.
Her show brought me joy.
And I threw away a few things.
When the voluntary quarantine was instituted 9 days ago, the thought of organizing the house was the last thing on my mind.
For about 32 minutes.
When I realized how small our house is with 5 people. And how we were tripping over each other…and junk.
Out of necessity, I cleaned out several of the kitchen cabinets and the pantry. If you have ever felt bad about not keeping up with your pantry, let me make you feel better about yourself by admitting to finding several (not just one) bottles of BBQ sauce that expired in 2009.
That went so well, I went on to clean out my closet, the bathroom and parts of the mudroom.
My boys are all on alert that we will be tackling their rooms next.
Why has this situation created action when the loveliest, most gentle lady in the world could not?
Because I found a more effective question to ask when holding an item in question… Do you need it in a pandemic?
Fun Things to Do While You’re Stuck at Home
- Check out these kids education websites offering free subscriptions.
- Help your kids learn how to make bubbles at home!
- My kids are obsessed with these active indoor games.
- These crafts for kids are so fun and easy!
- Learn how to make headbands with buttons.
- Make reading even more fun with this PB kids summer reading challenge.
- You won’t believe why parents are gluing pennies on shoes.
- Rawr! Here are some of our favorite dinosaur crafts.
- Get kids off technology and back to basics with learning worksheets you can print at home.
- Make being stuck at home fun with our favorite indoor games for kids.
- Have fun coloring our awesome Fortnite coloring pages.
- Make a batch of these Edible Harry Potter Wizard Wands, with this recipe from The Nerd’s Wife, and then have a Harry Potter movie marathon!
- Your will love these fun halloween games for kids!
What projects are you working on around the house during lockdown? Comment below!