This week especially has shown us all how we can get creative and come together in a time of need. From watching Hallmark holiday movies in March to coming together with people all over the world to see Mo Willems draw, the internet has been full of amazing, innovative activities that we can all enjoy from home.
The best thing I have found to keep me entertained while we’re stuck at home is a Harry Potter Themed Digital Escape Room and it’s completely free!
This escape room was created by staff at the Peters Township Public Library in McMurray, PA. and you can complete it by yourself or with your family!
Harry Potter Themed Digital Escape Room
So, how does a virtual escape room work? Starting out, you’re told that this is your first year at Hogwarts. With your house already chosen, you’re told that this is going to be a team building activity.
During this activity, you will be watching clips from Harry Potter movies, answering questions from the clips, heading into Gringotts where you’ll have to figure out the exchange rate between sickles and galleons, figure out how to do different spells and much, much more!
At first, I completed the escape room on my own so I could get a sense of what it was like. It was pretty funny looking at things like a cell phone and keypad as a wizard seeing these strange devices for the first time.
Then, I asked my youngest son if he’d like to come and do it with me. Of course he said yes! I mean, what kid wouldn’t be excited for a Harry Potter escape room!
Doing the virtual escape room with someone else was much more fun because we were able to talk about what it might look like if we were actually there and help each other out when converting the sickles and galleons.
I love how it sparked his imagination and made him really think about what it would be like to visit the wizarding world.
It was really fun to see some of the trailers for the films, which were released so long ago! I mean, Daniel Radcliffe looks like a baby in the trailer for the Philosopher’s Stone!
All you need is an internet connection and a browser. You can open it on your mobile phone or computer — any device that can access the web!
Now I think I need to go have a Harry Potter movie marathon.
Printable Escape Room
If you are looking for a full escape room experience that has everything included, check out this printable escape room option which we absolutely love! It will keep you and your kids busy for an hour of laughing, chatting and teamwork while solving puzzles and looking for “keys”.
FOR MORE FUN THINGS TO DO AT HOME
- Join one of your kids’ favorite authors or illustrators for online story time!
- Travel the world from your couch with this list of 40+ virtual field trips.
- A dozen moms shared how they are keeping sane with a schedule for school at home.
- Get kids off technology and back to basics with learning worksheets you can print at home!
- Make being stuck at home fun with our favorite indoor games for kids.
- This gigantic list of subscriptions from education companies will help get your home learning off the ground.
- My kids are obsessed with these active indoor games.
- 5 minute crafts are saving my bacon right now — so easy!
- Coloring is fun! Especially with our Fortnite coloring pages.
- Impress your “students” with fun facts for kids!
- Call this phone number to be connected to Hogwarts.