St. Louis is a budget-friendly family vacation destination! It’s a fun place to visit anytime of the year. However, my favorite seasons to enjoy the city are spring, summer and fall!
10 Things to Do with Kids in St. Louis, MO
1. Eat breakfast at the Tower Grove Farmer’s Market - Sample local and seasonal produce at this outdoor market in Tower Grove Park on Saturday mornings. Or, try a yummy crepe or grilled cheese from a food truck parked nearby. You can also stay for a free yoga class in the park or enjoy a walk next to the lily pad ponds.
2. Discover and Explore the Children’s Garden at the Missouri Botanical Garden - Just next door to the farmer’s market, you will find another city gem, The Missouri Botanical Garden. The Children’s Garden brings botany and history to life through interactive outdoor experiences. Explore the wetlands, climb aboard a steamship, visit a Midwestern prairie village and more!
3. Visit Forest Park - You can spend the entire day exploring this large park. Best of all, most of the attractions (St. Louis Zoo, St. Louis Science Center and the St. Louis Art Museum) have FREE admission. Make sure to have lunch at the Boat House where bread is provided to feed the ducks from the docks.
4. Visit The Magic House - My kid’s favorite place to go is The Magic House! Hands-on exhibits include The Children’s Village, Bubble Room and the Kid’s Construction Zone. Special exhibits rotate throughout the year.
5. Stop for frozen custard at Ted Drewes - Head to the Chippewa location to enjoy a famous concrete. It’s so thick that they turn it upside down when they serve it to you without it falling out! Try the Cardinal Sin (vanilla custard, hot fudge and tart cherries).
6. Visit Grant’s Farm - Here is another FREE attraction (you do have to pay to park though). Enjoy a tram ride through Deer Park, ride a camel or feed a goat a bottle!
7. Ride to the top of the Gateway Arch - A trip to St. Louis isn’t complete until you ride 630 feet up in a leg of the Arch. As you exit the tram car, you will have a stunning view of the city and the Mississippi River. Don’t miss the Museum of Westward Expansion underneath the Arch.
8. Visit the City Museum - You will be amazed at the creativity exuding from this place! Enchanted Caves, Shoelace Factory, World Aquarium and more!
9. Cool off at the Citygarden - Splash in the water features at Citygarden. You will also enjoy viewing the sculptures and landscaping features of the garden. A true oasis in the middle of downtown.
10. Have dinner at Fitz’s - Enjoy a burger and root beer float at this lively restaurant. You can also watch them bottle root beer and other sodas behind glass walls.
So, if you are looking for a fun and budget-friendly weekend getaway or a longer vacation, head to St. Louis!