As the summer wears on, I find myself dishing up the same thing day after day. But just like adults, kids get tired of having the same food all the time.
Awww, Mom. Hot dogs AGAIN???
Why not make that hot dog a little more exciting?
I first saw this fun recipe for spaghetti dogs in Family Fun Magazine. They call them Squid Dogs because they do kind of look like those mysterious creatures of the deep. We had to give it a try.
This is a super easy snack and lots of fun to make too.
The only ingredients are hot dogs and spaghetti.
1. Cut a hot dog into 1 inch pieces.
2. Insert several pieces of uncooked spaghetti into one end of a piece of hot dog.
3. Boil the hot dog/spaghetti in water until the spaghetti is tender. Doesn’t it look just like a little squid?
4. Dunk in ketchup, mustard, or marinara sauce, if you would like.
5. Enjoy your squid snack!
My kids had a lot of fun making this snack. Except for boiling them in water, they made it all by themselves. They broke the dried spaghetti so some of the squids could have some short arms and some long arms.
Get creative in the kitchen and your children will be much more likely to clean their plates. Let’s see what fun recipes the Quirky Mommas have been stirring up in the kitchen:
- Back To School Snacks -a collection of ideas to make the transition from summer to school easy and fun this year.
- Solar Oven – learn about solar energy while cooking up this delicious version of smores. This is a fun project from the Museum of Science+Industry Chicago’s Summer Brain Games Series.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip (with beans!) – You had me at “chocolate”! This is a delicious but healthy dip that uses chick peas!
Powered by Sidelines